At Gray Optics, our mission is to improve and save lives. In this quest, we provide our valued medical device customers with industry-leading product engineering and new product development services to help create the next generation of advanced minimally invasive surgical devices and tools that save lives.
Minimally Invasive Medical Devices
Minimally invasive surgery (MIS) has been at the center of several advances in medical diagnosis and treatments. From laparoscopic surgery, where surgical work is performed via small incisions, to endovascular surgery, where devices can image interior walls of arteries and treat problems using only one incision, these methods and devices play a pivotal role in modern healthcare as indispensable tools to improve and save lives. As the field continues to advance, optics and photonics product technologies will play an increasingly important role.
A key technology trend behind the proliferation of new, minimally invasive medical devices has been the miniaturization of high-resolution CMOS image sensors, enabling unique imaging modalities for enhanced visualization inside the human body. In addition, precision manufacturing and assembly of optics, mechanics, and light sources have made it possible to design and assemble medical devices less than 3 mm in size. Technology breakthroughs such as this are opening the door to more MIS applications, especially in the field of robot-assisted surgery. In parallel, the translation of existing 3D viewing technologies from the consumer electronics market is also a critical feature of new MIS products, especially in robotic surgery. The redesign and optimization of traditional 3D viewers for specific use cases in robotic-assisted surgery applications provide surgeons with new visualization and navigation capabilities, enable one to perform patient surgeries effectively and efficiently, ensuring better patient outcomes.
As new minimally invasive medical devices are developed based on optical visualization and sub-millimeter form factors, the requirements to (1) design and optimize the optical and mechanical package for each specific use case, (2) assemble and (3) accurately test and characterize the device to ensure the highest quality imaging performance requires the right product engineering approach, proven product development processes, and the right approach and ability to scale for manufacturing ramp-up to enable products to bring life-saving products to market faster.
Our Capabilities for Minimally Invasive Medical Device
With expertise in Product Engineering for endoscopy, robotic surgery, and catheter-based devices used in diagnostics and therapeutic applications, Gray Optics supports OEM medical device companies’ needs to commercialize new minimally invasive medical products. Our proven product development process and approach to medical device design and transfer to production help our customers achieve their project goals and product commercialization plans.
- Product development expertise. Our engineers have significant experience designing, assembling, and characterizing precision miniature optical and camera assemblies. Our team is aware of the bigger picture common pitfalls, and our techniques reduce development time and manage the instrument cost of goods.
- Benefits for customers. Our engineering and program management teams have deep application knowledge of all critical medical device product commercialization steps. As a result, they are available to help at every stage along the development path.
- Our process. We map out each stage of the new product development process in detail to secure buy-in and ensure our team meets all project milestones on time, from instrument feasibility, product design, and engineering, to manufacturing ramp-up.
- Competitive advantage. Our engineers have years of experience in medical device product development and understand the most important considerations that help ensure successful product commercialization. As a result, our teams bring a wealth of industry knowledge and experience other companies can’t offer for optics-based medical devices.
- Agility and scalability. With a collaborative partnership approach to product development, our team works in tandem with our customers at every stage of the process. We offer flexibility to support our customer’s most critical development needs and quickly pivot as project goals change without losing sight of the end goal.
Work We’ve Done
- Project: Custom Flexible Stereo Endoscope Design
- The Problem: The customer identified a new market need without any predicate devices to evaluate solutions against. No existing products were available for pre-clinical evaluation.
- The Solution: To fully understand the MIS surgical use case and endoscope design requirements, Gray Optics produced a proof of concept stereo endoscope module and display system, including a compact camera control unit using a combination of off-the-shelf and custom components.
- The Outcome: Gray Optics delivered five custom endoscope camera modules that interfaced with a prototype display system in 12 weeks. The customer used these prototypes in pre-clinical testing to evaluate the user and functional needs for the product. On completing Gray Optics’ first project, the customer committed to following the project for further development.
“I would recommend Gray Optics to anyone looking for support creating an optical system. The Gray Optics team are hardworking and highly knowledgeable in optical design. Collaboration is easy between our team and theirs, and I look forward to working with them in the future.“
Partner with an Industry-leading Product Development Specialist
We are proud to partner with industry leaders in the medical device market and start-up companies developing innovative products that enable breakthroughs in medical diagnostics and treatments.