Industry-leading Product Engineering for medical, life science, and industrial instrument markets is at the heart of What We Do.
Our Product Engineering team consists of highly skilled engineers and program managers with advanced degrees and years of product development experience in our core markets. We are an authority in solving complex optical, mechanical, and system-level problems to help accelerate product commercialization for OEM customers. This practice has allowed the company to become a trusted and valued partner to global Fortune 500 medical device companies and innovative start-ups developing the next generation of life science research tools. Our team of engineers and program managers bring deep product development and application experience to complement your team. By working in a collaborative partnership model, you can access additional product engineering skills, precision assembly, and metrology and test services to drive your new product development program to completion on time and within budget.
PRODUCT ENGINEERING AT GRAY OPTICS
Our Product Engineering team is committed to supporting complex OEM optical instrument projects efficiently and effectively. All projects follow our proven New Product Development Process to support the diverse needs of our customers. We can adapt the process to meet the requirements for both regulated medical device products and non-regulated instruments, devices, and tools. Starting with Feasibility or Concept Development and working through Product Development to Manufacturing Ramp Up, our Product Engineering team is on hand to help every step of the way.
Our engineering skills encompass:
- Optical Design and Engineering (Zemax, CodeV, TracePro, Light Tools)
- Mechanical Engineering (Solid Works, Autodesk products)
- Optomechanical Engineering
- Software Engineering (Python, ImageJ, Matlab and Labview)
- Electrical Engineering
- System Design and System Architecture
- Metrology and Optical Characterization (Imatest)
- Process Automation
- Strategic Supply Chain Development
- Design expertise spanning UV to SWIR wavelengths for imaging and spectroscopy instrumentation
In addition, we offer design for manufacture assessment, industrial design, design for sterilization, Design Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (DFMEA and FMEA) evaluations. Through each stage of our new product development process, we deliver detailed technical reports, optical and mechanical models, tolerance reports, and manufacture drawings.
As a result of our integrated design, manufacturing, and test approach, coupled with our professional supply chain partners, Gray Optics offers Design to Prototype services in as little as 6-8 weeks for optical products on a critical path timeline.
WE’VE GOT YOU COVERED
Our comprehensive design and development capabilities include: Our team is passionate about developing technology and products that become successful in the market to improve lives. The capabilities of our Product Engineering team provide a comprehensive design and development service addressing every aspect of optical system development. Our commitment throughout the new product development process extends beyond simply designing your optical system. Our engineering team closely collaborates with our Program Management department, allowing for focused yet agile and flexible engineering support where and when it matters most.
- Illumination optics design for broadband light sources, LEDs and laser sources (Vis, NIR ad SWIR)
- Optical design for lenses systems, mirrors, optical filters, scan systems, adaptive optics, imaging assemblies, tube lenses, microscope objectives
- Detection Optics for imaging sensors (CMOS, CCD, InGaAs arrays) and point detectors (APD, PMTs)
- 3D Display Systems, Viewers
- Software development and image processing
- Opto-mechanical systems
- Mechatronics and automation systems
- Alignment and assembly fixtures and tools
Whether you are designing an endoscope for 3D robotic surgery; a microscope platform for wide FOV, high-resolution fluorescence imaging for cell analysis; developing a new Raman or NIR spectroscopy device for tumor identification and surgical resection; or designing a new high laser power industrial machine tool, we’ve got you covered.
If your product development team needs help to solve a complex optical, mechanical, or system design problem, Gray Optics is here to help. You can also learn more about our precision assembly and metrology and test capabilities and how we integrate these into our complete support for your product development and learn about How We Work.